Wednesday, June 8, 2011

SPINOUT

SPINOUT
Quilt Design by Barbara Cline

Spinout is the third Scrap Squad quilt I've made, and it's in the current issue of Quiltmaker #140.  I decided not to paper piece my version of Spinout.  Instead, I cut 3.25 fabric strips and seamed together the colored strips as needed for my pieces.  It was very helpful to make a paper color key for the project.
This method worked well and I believe takes less time.


I used a 60 degree Omnigrid Fons & Porter Pyramid ruler to cut my pieces.  I hope you can see by the picture, how I used the cut out paper pieces, taped to my rulers as guides to cut my pieces from the strip.  I taped the small paper piece to the Pyramid ruler and the whole triangle paper piece to my straight edge ruler. 
Worked like a charm!

I assembled the quilt together in long rows.

The smaller size in the magazine makes a nice size wall hanging or baby quilt.

With a name like Spinout, I have asked
myself "why didn't I use Elvis Presley Fabric"?

To view other Spinout versions from the Scrap Squad go to:



6 comments:

Ruthie said...

I love it! Your colors would look great in my bedroom.

Donna's Quilts 4U2C said...

What a great little quilt. Think if looks good as a wall hanging. The colors are great.

Merilyn said...

What a sweet design!! very pleasing! Your little quilt is lovely, I love the fabrics you chose!!!

ART BY MARILYN HEYMAN said...

I love it too, Linda. Your color choices are wonderful. Another winner from a fabulous quilter!

QuiltinGal said...

It has been so much fun to see what the scrap squad had done with my patter "Spinout". I like the way you used the 60 degree ruler, what a great idea.

MaryE said...

I just discovered your blog from the Quiltmaker mystery quilt blog. your quilts are wonderful. and your dear jane is to die for! I am inspired to pull mine out and finish it....I have 13 more triangles to piece! love all your quilts, especially the cw repros. keep on stitching!